(903) 892-2020

Grading and Awarding Academic Credit

Grading at WISR

Student work at WISR is graded Credit/No Credit. Credit is awarded primarily for the completion of work that can be demonstrated by evidence that is then included in the student’s Learning Portfolio. In awarding credit, WISR faculty are mindful of the quantity and quality of work expected of students in conventional universities. Although the form and content of WISR student projects may be very unconventional, WISR faculty assign semester units to a particular student project by referring to their experiences in more conventional universities. WISR faculty base their credit-awarding decisions about student projects on their sense of the approximate number of semester units that would be awarded for a similar amount and quality of academic work in accredited universities.

Faculty Feedback on Drafts of Student Papers and Theses

Faculty make every effort to give students rapid feedback on drafts of papers and theses. Typically, faculty give students feedback on papers that are 20 pages or less, within 7 to 10 days. Faculty may need as much as three to four weeks to read and give feedback on longer papers, and especially on drafts of theses and dissertations. Faculty are available to set up hour-long conferences with students, either face-to-face, or by phone once every week or two, as needed by students. Generally, it is best to set up appointments a week to 10 days in advance, so students can coordinate their own schedules of availability with the openings in the faculty member’s schedule.

Awarding Credit at WISR

Credit hours (in semester units) at WISR are awarded based on each student’s progress through the requirements for a specific degree program. In order to complete requirements for the BA, students shall have earned at least 124 semester units; MA students, except in the MFT program, shall earn at least 32 units. At least 48 semester units are required for the MFT program. The EdD program requires 60 semester units beyond the MA. [previously enrolled PhD students must complete 54 semester units beyond the MA.] Faculty fill out Project Evaluation Forms for each completed project, noting the credit units awarded with their comments explaining the basis for the awarding of credit. In addition, faculty note if a particular graduation requirement has been fulfilled, as noted above, and this form is attached to the student’s Course Syllabus .

Course Syllabus

At the completion of each project or course of study, the student writes a detailed summary of what they did, their learning process, activities and outcomes, during that project/course, and he/she self-evaluates what she/he learned and accomplished.  Read More . . .

The evidence used in awarding credit may be of several kinds:

Academic papers, professional work and community work, multimedia products (including audios, videos, photos and web pages), creative/artistic works, faculty and professional observations of student learning,  participation in WISR projects and seminars, and written, reflective analyses of prior experiences.  However, WISR does not grant credit for prior experiential learning alone, only for current learning that may involve current writing and analysis that draws on prior experiences.  Read More . . .

Transfer of Credit to WISR from Other Institutions

Maximum transfer credit accepted.

No more than 94 semester units may be transferred from other institutions toward WISR’s 124 semester units required for the BA. No more than six semester units of graduate study may be transferred toward WISR’s 32 semester units required for all MA degrees offered by WISR. No more than 21 units of doctoral-level credit may be transferred toward Doctoral studies at WISR.  Read more . . .

Attendance, Probation, Dismissals, and Appeals

Since WISR faculty are committed to helping all students succeed, and because of the thoroughness of our admissions counseling process, no student at WISR has ever been dismissed. However, a faculty adviser could recommend review of a student’s persistent lack of academic progress, or persistent failure to participate in mentoring sessions with an academic advisor, to WISR’s Board of Trustees, or to a designated subcommittee of the Board, and the Board could, as two options, 1) put the student on academic probation with certain conditions to be met to avoid dismissal, or 2) dismiss the student. All actions taken by faculty members, Graduation Review Boards, or subcommittees of the Board are subject to appeal by the student to the WISR Board of Trustees. Such appeals may request reevaluation of credits awarded, graduation decisions, dismissals, or any other decision bearing on the student’s learning and academic progress. Decisions of the Board of Trustees, made after reviewing the relevant evidence, are final.

Student Rights: Grievance Procedures

A student may lodge a complaint (grievance) by communicating verbally or in writing to any instructor or administrator. Any such person contacted shall attempt to resolve the student’s complaint immediately. Oral and written complaints will be accepted by the Institute in any form. When submitted in writing, a simple, specific statement about the issue to be resolved should be sufficient.

If a student complains verbally and the complaint is not resolved within a reasonable time, and the student again complains about the same matter, the President of the Institute shall advise the student that the complaint must be submitted in writing. If a student complains in writing, the President of the Institute shall, within ten days of receiving the complaint, provide the student with a written response, including a summary of the Institute’s investigation and disposition of it. However, if the President is the subject of the complaint, the Chair of the Board, or a core faculty member designated by the Chair of the Board, will lead an investigation and provide the student with a written response as noted above. If the resolution requested by the student is rejected, the reasons for the rejection shall be explained.

Grievances not resolved by agreement between the student and the President of the Institute may be submitted to the WISR Board of Trustees for a final decision by the Institute.

Any questions or problems concerning this institution that have not been satisfactorily answered or resolved by the Institute should be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education, by calling (888) 370-7589 [toll-free] or by completing a complaint form at www.bppe.ca.gov